February 18

Spite Fences Ch 1-6

Please respond to one of the topics Feb. 21, 2013 by 8:30 p.m. You may want to respond to more than one topic. You will have an essay question on your Spite Fences Final Test,so the more you discuss and toss these ideas around the better. Remember, this blog is like an online Socratic Seminar, this is your–okay our place–to have an academic, collaborative dialogue, use it like smart students should.

sf3-6Journaladvanced

Posted February 18, 2013 by cshuja in category Uncategorized

63 thoughts on “Spite Fences Ch 1-6

1. dylancioffi

What kind of prejudice have we encountered so far in the novel? Think about the various prejudice different characters face (Pert, Maggie, George Hardy, Zeke). Have you experienced any of those types of prejudice? Are some types of prejudice worse than others? Make sure you use examples to support your explanation.

I strongly believe that the concept of racism is portrayed implausibly throughout the first six chapters of Spite Fences and it is completely axiomatic (BONUS- Vocabulary word). This absolutely intriguing novel by Trudy Krisher was set during the era in which Blacks and Whites were highly segregated in Southern parts of America in the mid to late 1960s. These two ethnicities were giving “separate but equal” public facilities and accommodations. African Americans did not socialize with the average Caucasian in fear that they would be punished severely under several restrictions and regulations placed under them in the document known as “Jim Crow”. In the book, we receive information that Magnolia Pugh’s boss, George Andrew Hardy, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Mathematics, was an African American man. Earlier on in the novel, Magnolia Pugh’s friend Zeke had offered her a job under the condition that she keep a secret. Zeke had refused to tell Magnolia Pugh and I think you could take a stab at why. If citizens in Kinship had found out about her “secret” job working for an African American man, they would be absolutely outraged. Magnolia would not abiding by the so-called societal rules during that time period.
    These forms of prejudice in the novel, relate emphatically with classism in Kinship, Georgia. In the book, Maggie talks about the division of class in her town. She says “To get uptown from my house you had to go over ten blocks and down three, and you saw that Kinship was laid out like a baseball diamond. Dividing it in two were the railroad tracks, running west to east through third base and first”. In the East, you would find Fenwick Acres. According to Maggie, it was “like first base… it was the place you were always trying to get to”. Meaning that Fenwick Acres was a place of highly successful folk, who lived in nice houses and obtained steady paychecks (Something Izzy Pugh has wanted her entire life). Opposite the Western part of town, the Eastern part, where Magnolia is currently living, is home to aplenty poor white citizens in Kinship. South of the divisive train tracks, live what are known to the people of Kinship as “coloreds” (This is clearly a slang term that is referring to the African American citizens). I loved the insightful decoding of text made by Danielle in one of her previous posts. She said that “the poor will always be know by their aprons and the rich will always be known by their bankbooks”. I thought that that comment was an absolutely meritorious point made by Danielle (Hats off to you!). Magnolia is not only faced with prejudice because of her social and economic status in Kinship, but because she is constantly told that her younger sister, Gardenia Pugh, is much prettier than she is. Her mother, Izzy, told her she was not much to look at. All she was good for was her steady work ethic, her looks were not going to get her anywhere. That is why Izzy favors Gardenia. Her mother believes that beauty is of utmost importance and being a hard worker was absolutely infinitesimal!

The topic of racism intrigues me and I am glad we get to read a novel in which it is portrayed so intensely. I have seen racism in our society regarding several different objectives. I do not understand why people take so much pride in it.. there is nothing congenial about racism whatsoever. It does not matter if you are being racist in a discreet way or in a capacious way, it is still wrong to judge an individual because of sex, race, creed, or color.

2. rachelpayne

I really like the questions Mackenzie asked and to answer the question “Is it the fact that others judge them by their past misdoings and they don’t think they can change the way the way society looks at them, so they don’t change at all?”, I believe that it takes two groups of people to change this outlook on the Boggs family. It takes the Boggs family itself and it take the whole community as a whole. Relationships with other people are based on trust and based on what Virgil has been doing and what we have read about, it seems as though he is not willing to change. On the other side maybe like what Katie had said in her comment, he may just need a friend that is willing to tolerate him at first and truly get to know him as a person. Either way that doesn’t erase what he has done in the past and some people will never forget those times.

3. veronicaengel

I like Jennifer’s comment, “They became stifling when Hitler used that opportunity to establish order to satisfy his own desires.” I believe that order is good sometimes, but the person in charge needs to understand how to use the order, not for their own way, but for the good of the people. If a person uses order to get their own way it just becomes chaos and nothing works out. In “Spite Fences”, the people that are higher up get their own way and this is how. Eventually, it all falls apart into chaos. Chaos is often created from a dysfunctional order.

4. lindseycron

I believe that the way a person is named can shape their personality. In this book, Gardenia, Maggie, and Zeke all have names that are also symbols of some sort. For example, Gardenia and Magnolia were both named after flowers. Gardenias are light, delicate, and very fragile which are all characteristics of Gardenia, herself. Meanwhile, magnolias are very resilient and they never stop growing. As Mr. Hardy said, “They take forever to mature. Sometimes as long as twenty years. But once they do, there’s not anything you can do to destroy them.” I think this will end up representing Maggie very well.
    Zeke’s name is Ezekiel. His mother named that because she wanted him to be like a prophet. I agree with Sidney when she said that he has more than fulfilled this. He has offered hope to many people, especially when he chose to go into that lunch counter and go into the “white” bathroom. He took that punishment with his head held high and I think that inspired many others, including Maggie.
    If I had been named something more unique or abnormal than just Lindsey, I do honestly think people would treat me differently or make fun. I think it’s human nature to question abnormalities, and unfortunately, most people reject differences.
    I was not named after anyone, but if I was, I probably would want to know why. They had to have been special to people in order for them to keep “living” on with someone else. It would almost be like whoever named you wanted you to actually be like that person. They might even become your idol in a sense which could shape who you turn out to be.

5. dylancioffi

Regarding my last blog, I too have experienced the wrath of racism directly. Similarly, I have been regarded as that utterly hideous teen, who’s only good for work and educational purposes. Although this is only a miniscule form of prejudice I have had to deal with, there are other forms of prejudice in my life that are not related directly to me, but to my family.

6. thomaspayne

Order is extremely important, order is what makes a society function. Without order there is no society which means no government, and without government we would be living in a state of complete chaos. However order is only productive when a certain amount is present in society. When order turns from everyone driving on the right side of the road into people being divided up by the color of there skin because it is “orderly” or being told they are good for only housework because they aren’t super models. So when order turns into a ball and chain that holds people back from achieving their full potential this is when there is to much order.

7. megynadkins

Pert Wilson is becoming one of my favorite characters. I think that Pert shows a lot of courage in this story. Maggie says “Pert Wilson and I were different. When trouble raised its head, she gave it her fist, and I ducked.” This makes me think that Pert is, in some ways, the more courageous one of the two girls. She’s not afraid to stick up for herself, more so than Maggie. Pert seems to be living the perfect life. The only things that seem to be wrong are her dad being gone, and people being snubs to her because she is Roman Catholic. She tells Maggie that the next time something bad happens with her Mama, she’s going to do something about it. Pert really isn’t obligated to care about Maggie’s problems, but her courage leads her to be a good friend and do the right thing. To me, Pert seems like a strong character.

1. cshuja (Post author)

Megyn! She does break stereotypes, which is why I like her as well…yeah, she is is “perty,” but she is also im”pert”inent. I love the scene in Stay Tuned when she sashays out of the store! Excellent characterization!

8. nateperinovic

I believe order is acceptable to the point where it starts to smother individual freedom and rights. To the point where individualism begins to suffer. In “perfect” order, evryone would be alike with similar abilities. The only realistic way for this to work is for everyone to accomadate to the lowest level of human beings. I believe a real perfect order exists when people of all levels are capable of interacting seamlessly. A real perfect order is when differences do not create rifts but rather bonds.